Thursday, April 9, 2009

"Emblems"



See Dr. Ekman's comments on his blog for the first Episode.


see:


http://fox.com/blogs/lietome/tag/pilot/


There is a lot of good material there.


Several points:


He does bring out the cultural aspects of gestures which again needs to be emphasized. That is not all people will do the same thing when lying, in all cultures. This is what I mean by "script" which I explain above.


He says: "I use the term ‘emblem’ for any gesture that has a precise meaning known to all members of a cultural group – such as the A-OK emblem in the U.S. (Watch out; emblems are specific to each culture. Someone will slug you if make the A-OK emblem in Sicily where it refers to what is considered a perverse sexual practice!)".


He, as I did, above in my first note, mentions Darwin's book on facial expressions. I did not know he had edited it.


It is too bad he has not yet given any credit to his mentor Silvan Tomkins.


Again I strongly disagree with him. I do think the example he uses on this page for the first episode is a "shame" response and a typical one. He does say it is a shame response but he says there is no "typical" response for "shame" and does not distinguish it from "sadness". I do not think the example for the second episode is of shame. I think they are complex emotions.


Bottom line, I think this is very rich material but I and many others disagree with some very important aspects of it. True, we do not have the organization that Dr. Ekman does. We think that he would benefit a great deal from recognizing above all else "shame" and "interest" in his research.


References






drlynch

No comments:

Post a Comment