Thursday, April 9, 2009

"Odds and Ends"


This is a version of a conversion I had via email:


Mr. X:


Thank you so much for the contact.


You say:


Mr X: I have read your statements about the show, "Lie to Me" on the Fox community discussion board. I was fascinated by your explanation about Dr. Ekman vs Dr. Tomkins. I took a few Psychology classes .............but have not heard about Affect Psychology. I am interested in non-verbal communication/body language ........


drlynch: Well, I am glad I have piqued your "interest." As I point out, however, Tomkins gives us the whole banana. A "human being theory." It is just not nonverbal communication albeit that is a great part of it. In any event, it is "truly" "holistic." What there is on it is fairly concentrated but you can spend a lifetime on it. You can find almost all of it on my website that I take you have found brianlynchmd.com


Mr. X: Are you a professor?


drlynch: No, I am not at the present. I would love to teach. I "teach" every day in a sense, as I do mostly "psychotherapy" and I see that as mostly teaching this material. I used to teach some Medical Ethics.


Mr. X: If one was interested to pursue a career like the ones in the show, "Lie to Me." What courses would you take? Would.... to be in Psychology ..... Criminal

Justice? And is there any careers similar to the show in the "real" world?


drlynch: My interest in this material is not geared toward what they do on the show.


You can probably find out much more through Ekman's website. I would say that there is probably no formal way to do this. You would yes, do some combination of Psychology and Criminal Justice and hook up with Ekman people AND people that know Tomkins well. Become an expert in all of it. If you become an expert in 'SHAME" and "INTEREST" in this field you would have a leg up as no one else is doing it. Or there may be of course but then we need a lot of people.


I am interested in more "therapeutic" uses of the material. In therapy, conflict resolution, Restorative Justice, business, you name it.


paulekman.com/


Mr. X: I will check out Affect Psychology.


drlynch: As I say much info on my site.


I would suggest my book as an intro to Affect Psychology "How To Get To Where You Want To Go" 195 pages


Then Don Nathanson's "Shame and Pride" 500 pages


Then Selected Writings of Silvan Tomkins


Mr. X: Thank you for your time!


References

No comments:

Post a Comment